Varieties of hosting solutions
A hosting solution appertains to keeping and/or sharing given content on a web hosting server hosted by a hosting vendor. There are various classes of hosting services utilized for various purposes, so let's take a look at them. In this way, you can determine what you want, based on whether you'd like to set up a web page, e-mailbox accounts, or to share files with mates and associates.
- File hosting: a service supplied by certain file storage providers, which allows you to share immense files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole function is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey an index of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free file storage solutions often include advertisements beside the download links, while a timer forces you to await a given stretch of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you get a paid file storage plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no restriction in regard to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting corporations, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly inapt explanation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would allocate the tasks at hand between independent sets of web servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending miscellaneous web page hosting services (electronic mail, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is only a type of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; given corporations offer a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting brand is good if you want to share an immense quantity of pics with chums or colleagues since the solution is usually free of charge. You will obtain a random link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service devoted to administering your e-mail addresses. Some companies offer web page hosting services for websites, but do not supply an email service. If you wish to open an email address with your domain name but do not desire to run a site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you need. You can set up email accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a particular video clip, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video brings about a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with a few video clips and several hundred web site viewers, you may have a hard time with your website hosting reserves. Embedding the video will allow you to use as many videos as you wish without worrying about system reserves.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you desire to own a web site. To some extent, it embodies all of the abovementioned hosting varieties since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can set up databases and email addresses, upload video clips, and so on. At GaskinTech, for example, you can view web hosting and dedicated web server hosting packages that allow you to have all of the abovementioned solutions in a single location. There may be restrictions depending on the type of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your site hosting package may be better or worse compared with the normal email/file/video/image hosting plans that are designed for particular web content solely.